Peach gum is a natural resin secreted from the peach tree, formed in amber like crystals on the tree. The peach gum is tasteless with a gelatin texture and it is rich in collagen, galactose, rhamnose, and amino acids. Collagen in particular may ring a bell, as it is frequently mentioned in skincare and beauty commercials, lauded as a source of skin suppleness.
According to the Michelin Guide, peach gum is frequently used by doctors of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and is natural, healthy, and rich in amino acids for quick collagen absorption. It can be bought online or in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) shops.
There are different grades of peach gum, the higher grade, the lesser impurities. Having said that, some black-colored impurities are to be expected no matter what. Peach gum needs to be soaked in water for at least 5 hours, or overnight to soften and easier remove any black impurities.
SERVINGS: 8 servings
- 2 liters of water
- 50g peach gum
- 3 pandan leaves, knotted
- 50g dried longan
- 8 red dates
- 120g honey rock sugar
- 20g goji berries, rinsed
First, prepare the peach gum:
- Place the peach gum in a bowl, then pour the water over it. Set aside and soak for 8 - 12 hrs or until softened. (as shown in the photo below)
- Drain the rehydrated peach gum, then rinse peach gum. If there are impurities in the peach gum, use kitchen tweezers to remove it.
- Place in a colander and rinse again.
- Bring the water to boil, add pandan leaves, longan, red dates, and simmer for 30 mins.
- Add rock sugar and simmer for another 10 mins.
- Add in peach gum and simmer for 2-5 mins.
- Discard pandan leaves, add goji berries and then serve hot or chilled.
Caution to avoid for: Pregnant women, menstrual period women, children under the age of two.
We have ready all the ingredients in our all-in-one packet beauty gum set: https://bit.ly/3v90gRv